Mascarpone. We say the word out loud with some trepidation, waiting for someone to pounce and correct us. Are the final two syllables a small breed of horse or a famous Chicago mobster, or something else entirely? And then there’s the categorisation. Most would head for the cheese aisle to get their fill of its creamy, unctuous goodness. The pedants among us though, would have us consulting the production and manufacturing process and insisting it’s a yoghurt.
While the pronunciation and labelling may divide the culinary crowd, what’s certainly not up for debate is that it’s good damn delicious, and versatile as hell. With that in mind, here are 10 IDEAL mascarpone recipe ideas.
This recipe is sugar free, has only three ingredients and is ready in less than five minutes. Get the best cheese to make the most of this desert. Cello’s Thick and Smooth is one of the top mascarpone brands which contains organic cow milk.
- Cut half a pint of strawberries in small pieces.
- Turn the cheese (8 ounces) into a cream by blending it with a manual mixer. Add a cup of whipping cream during the process. You can also add a few vanilla-flavored stevia drops.
- Add a layer of strawberries in a glass.
- Pour a layer of mascarpone mousse above the strawberries.
- Finish with a layer of blueberries (half a pint).
This fast an easy recipe is ideal for a midweek dinner of two. It only takes 15 minutes and the result is an enjoyable, nourishing bowlful. Feel free to get creative by adding extra spices, herbs and seasoning to the dish.
- Mix ½ cup of mascarpone cheese, 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, pepper, salt and a bit of nutmeg (1/4 teaspoons) in a bowl.
- Cook pasta (½ pounds) al dente and save ½ cup of the pasta water. You will need it later.
- Place pasta back in the pot on low heat and add the above sauce. Continue with 5 cups of spinach until it wilts.
- Add half of the pasta water and mix until the spinach is made.
- Place the food in plates and add a few hazelnuts and some parma ham if you wish
You can prepare a delicious and sweet smoothie in less than 10 minutes with this guy below. The smoothie is fat burning and completely natural.
- Mix 2 large egg yolks, ½ cup of mascarpone cheese, 4 ice cubes, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, ¼ cup of water, and 1 tablespoon of your favorite sweetener.
- Blend until the drink is smooth.
- Top with whipped cream.
The recipe for 4 crêpes takes 15 minutes to prepare and only requires a handful of ingredients. And just like that, you’ll have a healthy breakfast or brunch that is easy to cook and is lighter than regular pancakes.
- Mix two large eggs or three regular ones, ¼ cup of mascarpone cheese, a tablespoon of regular flour or organic powder and a pinch of sea salt in a blender.
- Heat a slightly greased pan and add ¼ cup of the mix for a crêpe.
- Cook for 2 minutes. Flip when bubbles form at edges.
- Cook for one minute on the other side until the crêpe becomes golden. Continue.
- Top with sliced oranges for your daily dose of vitamin C, nuts for texture and a drizzle of honey.
A breakfast belter, this one.
- Spread mascarpone on your toast.
- Add a small layer of honey or agave nectar.
- Continue with a drop of sea salt.
- Additionally, you can add cocoa or chocolate powder for a sweeter finish.
BRIGHTEN UP YOUR VEGGIES
This recipe is so simple that you’ll want to eat it with all your favorite vegetables. We like this aubergine recipe the most, but it would work equally well with peppers, courgette or tomato.
- Heat your oven and roast aubergine until it blisters.
- Remove it and pour mascarpone on top of the eggplant.
- Add fresh mint to the dish.
You can cook around 30 truffles in just 30 minutes with the below recipe. Filling and coating this dessert is easy and enjoyable; a great activity to do with the kids we think!
- Mix ½ cup of coconut butter, ½ cup of mascarpone cheese and 1/3 cup of powdered sweetener or brown sugar on medium heat.
- Remove the pan from the cook and 1/3 cup of whey powder and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix.
- Shape the result into balls and leave them in the fridge to chill for 2 – 3 hours.
- Blend 4 oz. of chocolate, 1 oz. of cocoa butter and tablespoons of sweetener and boil until everything melts.
- Take the mix out of the cook and add vanilla extract.
- Dip the above chilled balls in this mix and store them in the fridge.
How about a dessert of your favorite fruit with a touch of fresh cheese? This recipe takes as many minutes as you can count on your fingers and thumbs, and no more. In other words, it’s quick.
- Quickly fry a diced mango in butter with a tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Remove the mango from the pan.
- Add a drop of mascarpone and let it melt.
PIZZA WITH A TWIST
You will need a ready made pizza base for the below dish, or you could make your own, of course. Using mascarpone and not using tomato sauce makes for a refreshing, less rich version of the Italian classic.
- Bake the pizza crust halfway in the oven.
- Add mascarpone.
- Top with red onion, mushrooms, thyme, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Return the pizza to the oven until its crust becomes golden brown.
This is a refreshing substitute to your regular mashed potatoes, which would be heavy on the cream, butter or both. The recipe takes around 15 minutes and works with any meat or fish.
- Boil 5 – 6 potatoes for two servings.
- Crush them with a potato masher.
- Add salt and ½ cups of mascarpone to the mix.
- Continue with your favorite ingredients.