- Preparation time: 10 mins, plus 10-15 mins chilling
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes to 55 minutes
- Serves: 4
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 250g floury potatoes, such as King Edward, peeled and diced
- 300g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 200g Savoy cabbage, finely chopped
- 25g butter
- 1 bunch salad onions, finely chopped
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated
- Dried rosemary
- 25g plain flour
- 3 tbsp olive oil
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
- Put the white potatoes in a pan and cover with a little cold water. Place a lid on the pan and bring to the boil. Cook for 5 minutes then add the sweet potatoes and continue cooking for a further 9-10 minutes until tender. Steam the cabbage over the pan for the last 4-5 minutes until just tender, or microwave on high for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the cabbage, drain and set aside. Drain the potatoes in a colander then return them to the pan. Add the butter then season and mash until smooth. Mix in the salad onions, cheese, rosemary and the cooked cabbage. Combine well then leave to cool.
- Divide the mixture into 8. Dust the worktop and your hands with the flour, then form the mixture into small, round patties about 2cm thick. Place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to chill.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and gently fry 4 of the patties for 2-3 minutes on each side until lightly golden. Add the rest of the oil and cook the remaining patties, keeping the first batch warm in the oven. Serve topped with a poached egg and oven-roasted tomatoes.