As we head for autumn some of us will be thinking about updating our wardrobe. However, there’s no need to change everything – there’s a lot you can do with key items that never go out of style – and you’ve probably already got them. With the help of Models Direct we have put together some tips on making the most of our favourite ‘fab four’ timeless classic items.
Little black dress
The LBD has earned its place as one of the most loved items in your average girl’s wardrobe. If you’re buying a new one spend as much as you can afford on a good cut and stay away from obvious current trends such as asymmetric designs, ruffles and bows if you want this item to serve well over time. The right LBD should be simple, tailored and classic.
How to wear it;
– Dress your LBD up with killer embellished heels and a statement piece of jewellery.
– Go girly with cute low heeled courts and a pretty pashmina in a matching colour.
– Make it feminine and classic with a 40s style jacket and boots.
Flattering and dependable, the white shirt is a girl’s best friend if kept crisp and clean. However, white can add width to your silhouette so it is important to choose a style that flatters your shape. Wrap around styles are kind to most figures, or try one of the current oversized shirts, which look fab and are bang on trend! Don’t forget to wear a skin-coloured bra as apposed to a white one underneath.
How to wear it
– Wear an oversized white shirt with black leggings and boots for a very current look.
– Classic styles look great with pencil skirts, which are hot this season and are perfect for the office with mid heels.
– Casual and cool, wear it with your ‘boyfriend jeans’ for an effortlessly laidback look.
Don’t underrate a good quality pair of straight leg jeans. Smart denim can look great dressed up or down for a huge variety of looks. The right pair of jeans won’t date, and if the fit is flattering you can wear them for everyday casual looks, right through to nights out and, increasingly, in the workplace too.
How to wear them
– Pair with a white fitted t-shirt for smart/casual timeless style.
– Top your jeans with a pretty camisole and heels for a night out.
– Team with a tailored jacket for work if it’s appropriate for your job. Dark indigo denims will look smartest and stick with smart boots or low heels.
Mac or Trench
You can wear this item for most of the year and depending on how chilly it gets, sometimes right through winter. Macs are feminine, flattering and functional and though they are a classic item for your wardrobe.
How to wear it
You don’t have to go for an ubiquitous neutral shade, there are lots of pretty coloured mac’s around right now, so pick a shade that suits you out of this season’s hottest hues; purples, blues, rose shades and olive greens or go for a more classic neutral or honey tone with a silk scarf to add some contrast.
Macs are a wonderfully flattering cut for most figures, fitted, nipped at the waist with a fuller skirt. They look great with anything tailored or slim cut so you should have lots of options!