Ideal for a DIY gift this year or the perfect partner to the festive cheeseboard.
A gorgeous homemade chutney is sure to go down a treat with the foodies in your life, and pairs beautifully with stilton, brie and any other festive cheeseboard favourites this Christmas. If you manage to resist eating it all yourself, a pot of this great Christmas chutney makes for a wonderful DIY gift, too!
- Preparation time: 15 minutes plus time for cooling
- Cooking time: 1 hour
- Makes: 1.4kg or 3 x 450ml jars
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 3 Best of British Apples, peeled, cored and chopped into small chunks
- 3 large red onions, finely sliced
- 50g fresh ginger, peeled and julienned
- 1½ tsp pink peppercorns, roughly crushed with the back of a knife 600g granulated sugar
- 270ml cider vinegar
- 2 Cooks’ Ingredients cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp mixed spice
- 1 star anise
- ½ tsp salt
- 600g pack fresh or frozen cranberries
WHAT YOU NEED DO TO
1. Preheat the oven to about 180ºC, gas mark 4. Wash the jars and lids in hot soapy water and rinse well, but do not dry them. Leave them to stand upside down on a roasting tray while they’re still wet. Put the tray into the oven for about 15 minutes, until the jars and lids have been sterilised.
2. Put all the ingredients except the cranberries in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Stir to mix the ingredients together before turning up the heat.
3. Simmer gently, uncovered, for 45 minutes. The apples will have softened and become translucent. Stir occasionally, especially at the edges of the pan, to ensure that none of the chutney sticks to the bottom of the pan and burns.
4. Add the cranberries and bring to the boil. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, until the cranberries have all popped and the chutney has become red in colour. Carefully spoon into the sterilised jars, discarding the cinnamon and star anise. Close the lids tightly and leave to cool at room temperature. Store in a cool, dark place for up to 3 months. Once opened, keep in the fridge and use within 2 weeks. Delicious served with Stilton, strong Cheddar or ham.